Thursday, July 20, 2006

Experiencing God

Going deeper with God, finding out how to hear God and know when He speaks lead some women in our community to ask Gwen to lead the 13 week Experiencing God course. The first evening began in the midst of a community tragedy. Two local girls were killed in a tragic accident and were well know by the children of women in the study. Each mother was carrying inside them the pain that they felt for the families loss. It often is events like this that bring us to a crisis of belief – a very real piece of experiencing God. Through the next weeks we wait for God to speak, to experience Holy Presence in a new way, and to step deeper in a life of following Jesus footsteps

The following song was quoted in the workbook for the Experiencing God course and is full of rich pictures for each to hold and wait with:

THE RIVER

God’s passion is an endless river
White water running wild
In a restless rushing fury
To see souls reconciled

It reaches wide across forever
It’s dangerous and deep
And while some venture to the shoreline
Some even dare to leap

And the river rages
The river runs all through the ages
Long after I’m gone
There’s a truth I’m finding I can’t ignore
Whether I dive in or stand on the shore
The river keeps rushing on.

All of those who ride the rapids
Have a message they must tell
There’s a joy in being lost in something
That’s bigger than yourself.

And though the current takes you places
Where you learn to lose control
And if you think you’re going under
He’ll never let you go
Never let you go.

Toward some quiet sea somewhere
There’s nothing like the journey there.

From: Experiencing God: Music for Knowing and Doing the Will of God.

|

3 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger anj said...

About 10 years ago, I led women in my then church through this course, and 5 years ago, Len and I worked through it together. I think the lessons of expereincing God, and learning that God is always at work and learning to step into the Spirit's flow are invaluable. I guess what I am trying to say is that, although I am no fan of 'programmed study', I have felt God's presence and teaching in this one. May your community be nurtured in the ways of Spirit as you walk in holy obediance with this message. Much love and hope in this - Anj

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger steph said...

Thanks Anj for your comments. It is already proving to be a time when Holy Presence if very tangible.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Doing that study had a big impact on me, and I still remember many of the illustrations used.

Praying for healing as each discovers their part in joining where God is already working.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com