Monday, September 12, 2005

Come Sit at the Table

As a culinary minister I firmly believe that the table is sacred space. Culinary art on the table is the invitation to come and dine.

Jesus said those words “come and dine” and invited his friends, in intimate settings, to come and take communion together. He also says he is standing at the door knocking, waiting for the invitation to come and dine with us, to be present at our table as we “break bread” together. Solomon, in his love song, invited his lover to come and dine.

The kitchen or dining room table here at Linwood House is holy ground where the sacred of our stories is shared and the fragrance of the pain and joy is added to the aroma of the food. There is such a sweet perfume of humility in this place that becomes “church” in action.

A large place of fresh greens, slices of cucumber, ginger carrot salad, corn salad, pea sprouts and skewers of grilled chicken tenders: this is live food for the body as well as protein, mixed with flavours and colours that entice the palate to participate more deeply in the eating adventure. But subtly there is much more to this picture – the “live” portion of this meal, in the middle of the day, brings healing and cleansing to the body.

The Spirit regularly issues the invitation to linger at table – linger and let the presence of the Divine One hover and move. What is spoken or whispered there is sacred and remains so for safekeeping; the 2.5 hours spent at lunch brought discussion, pain held out, tears bathed it, prayer for healing and restoration surrounded those in need. This circle of trust (as Parker Palmer describes it) invited each one to participate more deeply in community.

I still firmly believe that Jesus created meal time for Divine encounters and I celebrate the privilege of providing the epicurean part of the equation for them. Taking the Good News to the ends of the earth also involves taking it to the kitchen, or dining room table in fresh colour and texture!

|

6 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember leaving, that life-giving circle of trust some time ago, wondering if I would ever see some of these angels again, this side of eternity.
The week before last, I was prompted to go back into church after almost getting to the car, only to find one of those angels there. I was so blessed to exchange hugs and catch up again.
Sitting at the table is a blessing never to be forgotten.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger bobbie said...

minister indeed! i love that term, it fits you perfectly!

like lynne, i too remember siting at your table, it truly is a thin space. it is what grieves me most of living so very far away from you!

thank you lynne for your kind words - you were an angel to me that day too! and yes, it was great to hug and catch up!

i am thrilled that if it cannot be me sitting at your table, that i can know that others are partaking of such wonder and ministry, such careful attention to detail and joy. god bless you minister stephanie! using your gifts and following your path - you bring me so much encouragement to follow my own!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger steph said...

It seems so long ago that you both sat at the table and I hope you will soon do so again!
Bobbie - it was Wes who gave me that title and frankly I love it!

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard about this ministry time ... Indeed you create sacred space around the table, Stephanie, that blesses everyone who sits down to a meal at Linwood House.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I'm with bobbie... I love that term 'culinary minister'!!! What an incredible thought.

Also love your description of the table/meals being sacred space. That thought adds such freshness to my reading of the Gospels.

Thank you!

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hear hear...you culinary minister you! The banqueting table you have prepared for me multiple times over the years has helped me understand more Jesus invitation to His bountiful table! Loving you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com